Yelagiri Hills is a small Hill Station in Tamil Nadu and is at a height of 1100 meters above sea level. The hill is located at a distance of 170 Kms from Chennai and 140 KMs from Bangalore and is a perfect weekend getaway for tourists from both Chennai and Bangalore. The approach roads are amazing and is suitable for drive and ride from either Chennai or Bangalore. This beautiful hill station is located in between the towns of Vaniyambadi and Jolarpettai. Rose gardens, Lake, Water Falls, Valleys, Temples etc are some of the things to do at Yelagiri.
The place can be covered in a day and is less crowded compared to other hill stations. Best time to visit is from September to May. Whole of Yelagiri (30 Sq KM approx) once belonged to Yelagiri Zamindar Family which was then taken over by the Government druing 1950s. These hills are famous among adventure seekers and nature lovers. Swamimalai Hills is one of the highest peak in Yellagiri and is famous among trekkers.
This valley is famous for “Yelagiri Summer Festival” which is organized during end of may by Tamil Nadu Tourism Development Board. The festival involves various cultural programs and shows and people from all over the state gather for this event.
We loved the drive and scenic view of valley, however there are few other places which can be visited when at this Hill. Some of the popular places to visit are;
- Velavan Temple
- This Lord Murugan temple is has a peaceful atmosphere. The views from the temple are amazing and is a must visit place when your visit Yelagiri
- Nilavoor Lake
- This is one of the major tourist attraction and one can undertake boating activities on either row boats or pedal boats. The lake is located between lush green valley and the view is mesmerizing.
- Swamimalai Hills
- Swamimalai hills can be approached by visiting Mangalam village. The trek will be for around 3-5 KMs and time taken for trek will be around 1-2 Hours for ascend and 0.45-1 Hour for descent. There is a small temple on top of the hill however the hill offers good views of the town below.
- Jalagamparai Falls
- This is a small falls is located near by Yelagiri. The falls will be dry during summer and is advisable to visit during rainy season.
- Adventure Sports
- Various adventure sports such as Zip Line, Parasailing ATV rides etc can be undertaken at Yelagiri.
The above places can be visited once but should be visited without much expectation. Yelagiri Hills is best suited for a drive, trek or over night stay. Weather is pleasant during evenings and one can undertake campfire activity during nights.
After a nights stay at Yelagiri we proceeded towards Yercaud which is at a distance of 150 KMs from Yelagiri.
Hi friends, I love traveling and exploring new places. When I was going through my old travel photos I started to cherish my travel experiences. I wanted to share my experience with you. That is how i started this blog.! I hope you like my work.