For Indian tourists who visit other countries with an International Driving License / International Driving Permit (IDP) can drive legally and explore the nation without relying on public transport or cabs. IDP is accepted in over 190+ countries and this permit is valid for a period of one year. International Driving License can be obtained easily and the steps for obtaining the license is explained as under.
Below are three mandatory requirements before applying for International Driving License.
- The applicant must be a Citizen of India
- The applicant must have valid Indian driving license
- The address on the license and passport must be the same.
Below are the list of documents which are required for applying for IDP
- Photographs (3 Copies of Passport size photos)
- Form 4A (to be downloaded from your respective RTO website)
- Form 1 (Fitness form)
- Form 1A (This form is a Medical certificate and needs to be signed by Signed by Medical officer )
- Valid Driving License (The license must have validity of more than a year)
- Valid Indian Passport (The passport must have validity of more than a year)
- Visa (If applicable, not mandatory though)
- Covering letter (Purpose of applying for IDP must be explained)
- Address Proof (At-least 2 and address of both the address proof must match)
- Fees (Rs 1000 fee)
There are two procedures to apply for IDP.
- Through RTO
- Find out under which jurisdiction does your license fall, head to the RTO and submit the above forms in originals and attested photocopies for verification
- Collect the token number and head to the counter when the token number is called for.
- Follow the instruction and collect the originals and pay the necessary fees and submit the challan copy to the counter
- Come back when they ask you to and collect your IDP
- Through WIAA
- Apply for IDP through http://www.wiaaindia.com/international-driving-permit.
- Apply for membership
- Submit all the documents along with self attested copies and medical certificate
- Wait for IDA to be released, WIAA will contact you once the IDP is ready.
IDP is valid for a year but it needs to be presented along with Original Indian Driving License. Once IDP is expired, it needs to be re applied as there is no renewal provisions. Not all Countries accept IDP so please make sure that the nation you travel accepts IDP.
Some of the countries require you to submit your IDP and get a local temporary license. So please make sure you are aware of the local requirement before driving the vehicle.
There are few countries which accept Indian Driving license and does not require a IDP, however to be on the safer side it is always better to have an IDP. Below are some of the nations where one can drive using Indian Driving license for few months.
- United States of America
- United Kingdom
- New Zealand
- South Africa
Hi friends, I love traveling and exploring new places. When I was going through my old travel photos I started to cherish my travel experiences. I wanted to share my experience with you. That is how i started this blog.! I hope you like my work.